Limited Edition Figures
This page is designed to provided details of the BfK 2012 Limited Edition Figures project. It covers the genesis, history and progress of the project; the figures themselves and how you can order them from me. Oh yes, it also covers the prize draw and painting guide! Please note that this project is limited both in terms of the number of packs that will be made available and the time for which they will be available – see the Pricing and Ordering section below for details. Also note that, some time after the closing date, this pack will eventually go on general release as part of the Calpe Miniatures range.
Bear in mind that this is a private personal project and not a commercial venture, so please adjust your expectations accordingly. Many of you reading this will know Peter and I anyway, so you’ll already have a clear idea of our level of integrity.
The genesis of this project stems from the fact that this version of my blog is five years old this year and I wanted to do something with, and for, my community of regular readers and commenters to celebrate that milestone and thank them for their continued encouragement and support.
So, working with Peter Fitzgerald of Calpe Miniatures, I formed the idea of creating a special edition pack of figures that I would make available for purchase in limited numbers for a limited time. I first announced the project in August 2012 and have been consulting with the BfK readership through a series of postings here ever since then to develop the project. That series of postings will continue throughout the lifetime of the project so you can follow them yourself to catch up on the history of the project and keep up with the latest developments.
The pack will comprise a set of four metal 28mm Napoleonic wargaming figures and a camp fire scenic piece sculpted by Peter Fitzgerald of Calpe Miniatures. I have been through a lengthy process of consulting with the BfK readership, obtaining their feedback and suggestions and mixing them with my own ideas. The final decision is that the theme of the set is “Resting Behind the Guns” and will comprise the following figure poses for the French army of 1813:
- Figure 1: a bare-headed solider of the artillery train taking a drink and holding his shako in his other hand.
- Figure 2: a second soldier of the artillery train, this time wearing a covered shako, smoking a pipe and carrying an item of equipment – probably something like a horsewhip, a coil of rope or a trailspike.
- Figure 3: a foot artillery drummer wearing the Bardin Imperial livery and standing
with a foot resting onbehind his drum on the ground in front of him. He may be doing something interesting like pointing into the distance with his drumsticks.
- Figure 4: a “Marie-Louise” infantryman wearing a greatcoat and pokalem. This casually posed figure will be based on a fusilier shown in Knotel Band XII, Plate 24.
- NEW ADDITION: A camp fire with a “marmite” on the boil over it.
Planned Project Timetable
This is the provisional timetable for the project:
- August 2012: initial idea announced – DONE.
- August- October 2012: consultation and development of figure ideas for the pack – DONE.
- October 2012 – announcement of finalised pack concept and opening of invitation to order – DONE.
- October – November 2012: Sculpting of figures and announcement of closing date for orders that qualify for the prize draw – DONE.
- November – December 2012: photographs of “greens” – DONE, collection of payments – ONGOING.
- December 2012: casting of figures – DONE, dispatch of orders – ONGOING.
- January 2013: Announcement of prize draw winners – DONE.
- Early 2013: creation of painting guide, painting and dispatch of prize draw figures.
Pricing and Ordering
The price per pack is
£4.50 £5.50 (increased when the camp fire was added to the pack) plus postage and packing. The cost of postage and packing is variable, depending on where you want the figures sent. To place an order, please e-mail me (if you already have my details) or use the “Contact Me” form at the top of the right hand column of this page. Please include details of how many packs you’d like to order, and your delivery address.
When the figures are ready for dispatch, I will contact you with details of the final cost including postage and packing and details of how to pay via PayPal. Figures will not be dispatched until payment has been received.
I have now decided on the “limited” aspects of this project as follows: only orders received by 30 November 2012 will be eligible for entry in to the prize draw (see The Prize Draw section below); I will continue to accept orders after that date though bear in mind that I will eventually choose to stop accepting orders completely. When that time comes, I will update this page accordingly.
The Prize Draw
Every person who submits an order by 30 November 2012 that is successfully completed will be entered into a prize draw. Please note that there is only one entry into the draw per person regardless of how many packs you order or how many orders you make.
December 2012 January 2013, I will draw four winners at random at they will each receive one figure from the pack painted in acrylics, varnished and based by me. The bases will be circular laser-cut plywood and will be signed on the underside by me (and possibly also by Peter Fitzgerald). Please note that delivery of the prizes will be some unspecified time after the closing date because I’ll need to set aside time to actually paint them!
The figure each winner will receive will be chosen at random by me but I don’t mind if winners wish to express a preference for which one they receive – there’s just no guarantee that your preference will be fulfilled.
Finally, I will also produce a painting guide to accompany this limited edition figure pack. I will make this available as a free download here (probably in PDF format).