Mission briefing: Salute 2011
Posted by Martin on April 14, 2011
The annual outing to the far side of London for Salute is almost upon me, so it’s time to mark your cards with the things I’ll be looking forward to on the big day. So, here we go, in no particular order (as they say on certain well-know TV talent shows):
- Meeting up with Peter F.: Having good company always makes a wargames show much more enjoyable and Peter and I almost always meet up at Salute (and bump into lots of other friends along the way). This years we’ve got lots to catch up on and it won’t surprise regular BfK readers to know that I expect (yes, expect rather than hope) to come home with exciting developments in my hot little hands.
- Perry Miniatures Prussians: The plastic box will be available from the Perrys’ own stand and the metal packs will be on sale at Dave Thomas’ stand. I’ll certainly scrutinze these closely and may well come away with a few samples for review and comparison purposes. The Perrys have also let it slip that 3-ups for several forthcoming plastic boxes will be on display. The usual discussion fora are rife with speculation about what these sets might be. All I can say is that some of the more fevered imaginations are doomed to be disappointed.
- David Imrie/Paul Darnell ECW Demo Game: I’ve been following the preparations for this on David’s Saxon Dog blog and, as ever, his sense for getting vignettes and units just right impresses me.
- Call of Cthluedo: I usually steer clear of the Frothers Unite! UK forum (that’ll get me into trouble) but who can resist the combination of two games classics: Call of Cthulhu versus Cluedo. I want to find out if deep ones did it in the dining room with the sacrifical dagger.
- The return of the “Spanish Magazine”: well, it won’t be Spanish any more now that it’s an English language edition from a Dutch publisher but Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy rises from the ashes this weekend. Will the re-incarnation be as good as the original?
- The painting competition: It’s a regular fixture and I’m always keen to see what the standard is like even though I’m slightly concerned about the decline of historical entries that I’ve detected over the last couple of years. My single biggest hope is that there won’t so much jostling around the display cases this year. Last year, this was really off-putting, not to mention that it impaired my ability to take any decent photos of the entries.
So that’s a taster of what I’ll be up to. What about you?