Calpe’s opening salvo for 2009
Posted by Martin on January 18, 2009
This morning I’ve updated the Calpe website with a Latest News announcement from Peter F. Obviously, it makes sense for you to pop over there are read it in full for yourselves.
For me, it’s a great relief to finally be able to make this update to the Calpe site because it explains many of the trials and tribulations Peter faced during 2008 (and believe me, there were some dark days when Peter was very demoralised indeed). It also means that I can now discuss openly several things I’ve known were in the pipeline.
So here are my highlights:
- Prussian commanders set PC9 is now released. It comprises the four mounted figures I showed photos of back in November. And I can reveal that they represent Bulow, Yorke, Tautenzien, and Kliest.
- The first set of Saxons (march-attack musketeers) is scheduled for release in early February. We’ll post details and photographs before the end of this month.
- The second set of Saxons will be advancing musketeers but, due to the number of variants, it’ll be a while before they are available.
- In a break with current practice, the Saxon figures will not be sold individually but in packs of three. The reasons behind this are purely practical ones for Peter, not to mention the number of variations in the Saxons. He has limited storage space for new moulds and cast figures and it’s more efficient to group sets of figures together to save casting time. For example, in the Prusssian range, it’s possible for an order to call for figures from several different moulds leading to a time consuming process to cast up those figures and also to a surplus of the other figures from the same moulds that weren’t needed for that order. Plus, over-use of particular moulds eventually damages them. So Peter has planned this switch to packs for a long time in order to lessen these problems and has always viewed the release of the Saxons as the right moment to introduce it. We’ve had many discussions about how many figures there should be in each pack and how they should be divided up so I can assure you that this decision has been given very careful consideration.
- Peter has plans to make information about the Saxons available as booklets that will be available at prices that enable him to cover printing costs.
So here we go with what promises to be a much better year at Calpe Towers!