Befreiungskriege 1813-14

Painting and modelling 28mm Napoleonic wargaming miniatures

Litko delivery

Posted by Martin on February 16, 2008

Litko ploygonal bases

Ordered on 30th January; dispatched on 11th February (bear in mind the order included custom bases); arrived on 16th February (having crossed the Atlantic). Now that’s what I call service!

So, as promised, a photo of the custom octagonal and standard catalogue item hexagonal bases from Litko. Both types are in 1.5mm thick laser-cut plywood and both measure 40mm from side to side. The next job for me to to actually make up a real casualty base and my intention is to do a SBS (step-by-step) for this. If you want to join in at home, you’ll need the following ingredients:

  • A painted and varnished casualty figure.
  • A casualty base (obviously, I’ll be using one of these Litko ones).
  • Printed numbers 0 to 7 (assuming an octagonal base).
  • Glue.
  • Gloss and matt varnishes.
  • Your favourite basing materials (I use wood filler from Wilkinsons [a UK hardware store]).
  • Paint for hightlighting and tidying up the edges of the base.

Rather than paint the numbers, I’m planning make up a set using Microsoft Powerpoint, print them out, glue them to the base and varnish them. I’ll include the file as part of the SBS.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Litko delivery”

  1. Phil said

    I’m excited to see how these turn out.

  2. Randy said

    Martin,

    I loved the idea of these casulty markers since you first posted it. But there’s another use for the litko bases: basing changes. Most of the time I use 1:20 but my campaigns in Oregon are done at 1:40. I wasn’t about to paint up two armies of the same figures…I paint slowly enough already. So I started using the ultra thin bases in combination with their steel and magnets to allow me to dynamically split my forces.

    Problem is it didn’t work too well. I was using 2 20×60 bases to mount two groups of three figures on one 40×60 subbase. The 20x60s had steel bottoms while the 40×60 was surfaced with magnets. Unfortunately, the way most people pick up a stand is by both ranks of figures. The shear forces tended to break the magnetic contact too easily.

    So I switched to using a a 40×40 and a 20×40 base to mount a group of 4 and 2 figures respectively. On the subbase I used heavy duty magnets. This works pretty well. It also gives me the flexibility to alter the size of my battalions easily. For use in my northern campaigns I just paint up an extra command stand and split the original unit in half and voila two battalions for little additional painting.

    Lately, I’ve added in additional subbases that allow me to put 2 6-man co on one subbase. This is just a convenience for the times the battalion is in attack column or line formations…which is most of the time. One other benefit is for the times your army is marching long distances in cardboard boxes. Sitting the figure stands on a magnetic sheet keeps them upright quite nicely without the need for much packing material around them. Some overhead protection for the times your Weimaraner wants to turn your boxes upside down is advisable.

    The cost is ghastly but the time saved in additional painting and touch ups after trips has been worth it to me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: