Dabbling with dappling: part 2
Posted by Martin on July 27, 2007
Some more progress to report on the grey horse I’m painting at present. I’ve done the face (with a flesh coloured nose and nostrils), painted the other side of the body and generally added a whole lot more dappling. Plus there’s a little highlighting on the mane and tail now that I’ve decided to keep them black.
I took about five really quick photos tonight with the intention of posting them all here but in the end I just uploaded this one which gives a view of both the horse’s face and the newly-painted side. Of course, all I can see are the places where I want to make corrections and adjustments. That’s the risk of a larger than actual size photo. Mainly, I think, some of the changes of contrast from light to dark are too rapid: particularly around the shoulder muscles. I think I’ll add a bit more of the lighter greys.
Once I’ve made those corrections, it’ll be the straps and reins before move on to General B’s head.
Oh yeah – and because I’m feeling brave, I’ve posted a copy of this photo on Steve Dean’s forum for the entertainment of my fellow painters. It’ll be interesting to see what kinds of feedback that garners.