A new way with horses
Posted by Martin on February 21, 2007
I got round to taking a photo of my new “looser” approach to horse painting. This is still a work-in-progress but I think it actually captures how things are turning out on a bay horse:
The colour chart, using Vallejo paints, (I know people are always interested in this sort of thing) is:
- Basecoat: Burnt Umber
- First highlight: Cavalry Brown
- Second highlight: Red Leather
- Third highlight: Orange Brown
So a layer more than I’ve previously used and much more of the basecoat left showing through. So far, I’m pleased with this approach but I think the true test will come when I move on to painting grey and white horses.
Plenty of work to go but you can see I’ve also been painting the furniture. The green part of the saddlecloth isn’t particularly interesting – just bog standard three-layers. But the gold edging is an experiment in NMM. I did this using five layers, details to follow on another day.